This recipe for stuffed acorn squash uses my easy Crock Pot Chicken along with kale, white beans (gasp!!) and fresh herbs to really make it flavorful and delicious!
Beans are not technically considered Paleo. But I don’t believe they are quite the evil little devils they’ve been made out to be! They do have some lectins (an anti-nutritent) in them, but these are pretty much wiped away by soaking and cooking the beans, as Chris Kresser explains here. And I don’t know about you, but I sure don’t like eating raw beans, so I don’t think this to be much of a problem!
Then top off this delicious mixture with some toasted hazelnuts, a drizzle of a good extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon, to really bring out the flavors and make it special and very elegant!
This would be a great one to serve to some dinner guests!
If you don’t do well with beans, or just don’t want them, substitute some extra chicken in the recipe.
- 2 acorn squashes, halved and de-seeded
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup cooked white beans
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsps chopped and toasted hazelnuts
- olive oil and lemon for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub about 1 tsp of coconut oil on the inside of the squash and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake face down for 30 minutes until tender. Flip and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in pan over medium high heat.
- Cook onion until it starts to caramelize slightly.
- Turn heat down to medium low and add the kale, sage, thyme
- Cook until the kale is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add beans and chicken and heat throughout.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture into the squash and top with toasted hazelnuts.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and a squeeze of lemon on top if desired.